Saturday, September 27, 2014

Insomnia

What keeps you awake at night? Most often when I can't sleep, it's because I am unhappy with myself. It's lying there wishing I'd said or done something other than what I did in a particular situation. And replaying the danged scenario over and over in a million different ways, imagining a better outcome. All for naught, of course, except to keep me awake all night. I'm thankful that these sleepless nights are far less frequent than they used to be. Maybe I'm learning to count blessings instead.


INSOMNIA
by Janet Muirhead Hill

Sometimes when we cannot sleep
We lie there counting silly sheep
But usually we’re counting should’ves,
What-if-I-hads, and wish-I-would’ves.

Words we’ve spoken and those not said
Ruefully, we replay in our head.
Hindsight gives us such clear vision
That in our thoughts, we seek revision.

Yet life has no button to re-record
And deeds once done have their reward.
For better or worse when a thing is done
It can’t be rewritten for anyone.

The best we can do as we count regrets
Is to learn a lesson and pay our debts.

No comments:

Post a Comment